The Future Grid to Enable Sustainable Energy Systems
of the Power Systems Engineering Research Center
What will the future grid look like?
A systematic transformation of today’s electric grid is underway to enable high penetrations of sustainable energy systems. The grid is evolving from a network architecture with relatively few large, hierarchically-connected, tightly synchronized energy resources supplying large, medium, and very many small passive consumers. It is evolving toward a network driven by many distributed and concentrated, highly variable energy resources mixed with large central generation sources, energy storage and responsive users. The effective transformation of the grid requires decisions based on identification and solution of major operating, planning, workforce, economic and public policy challenges.
PSERC’s Future Grid Initiative
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has funded the project “The Future Grid to Enable Sustainable Energy Systems.” Its objective is to conduct research on how to integrate higher penetrations of renewable generation and other future technologies into the grid while enhancing grid stability, reliability, and efficiency. Another objective is to stimulate discussion among the academic, industry and government communities on what it will take to shape the future grid for the mid-twenty-first century.
Future Grid Activities (White Papers, Presentations, Posters, etc.):
The Future Grid Initiative is structured into six thrust areas of cross-cutting research, plus two white paper series of broad analysis topics.
- Research Projects (Thrust Areas and Tasks)
- White Paper Series: The Information Hierarchy of the Future Grid and Grid Enablers of Sustainable Energy Systems (Broad Analysis Topics)
- Proceedings from the May 29 Tech Talks
- Overview of Accomplishments and Results from Work in the Future Grid Initiative
- Products to Date
Background Information about the Initiative:
- “Technology Challenges in Designing the Future Grid to Enable Sustainable Energy Systems” by Vijay Vittal, Director, PSERC (June 2012)
- “The Future Grid: Enabling Renewables” – Presentation by Vijay Vittal (Dec. 7, 2011)
- Future Grid Initiative Executive Summary (2011)
- Press Release (April 20, 2011)
- Tech Talks on the PSERC Future Grid Initiative (May 29, 2013)
- Future Grid Forum: Technological Challenges in Designing the Future Grid (June 27-28, 2012)
- Future Grid Initiative Webinars
- Future Grid Initiative Workshop (Dec. 7, 2011)
- Issues in Designing the Future Grid (January-June 2012 webinar series based on the broad analysis white papers on the Future Information Hierarchy and Grid Enablers of Sustainable Energy Systems).
Presentation of Interest: Visioning the 21st Century Electricity Industry: Strategies and Outcomes for America, February 2012 [PDF, 2.9MB].